Law And Ethics Update For 2017
Instructor: James R. Rogers, J.D.
Date: Thursday, May 4, 2017
Time: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
C.E. Hours: 6
Synopsis: This intermediate course provides an update on laws, rules, regulations, case law, licensing board complaints, risk management and best practices pertaining to such topics: duty to warn/protect, telehealth, suicide, child abuse reporting, elder abuse reporting, boundaries, confidentiality, record keeping, and termination.
• This course is designed to satisfy the California BOP requirement that all psychologists complete a minimum of four hours of laws and ethics training each licensing cycle, and the BBS's rule that all LCSWs, LEPs and MFTs complete six hours of law and ethics training with each renewal.
• Attending this risk management course annually may entitle you to a 5-10% malpractice premium credit. Please consult your carrier for details.
• This risk management course has been pre-approved by the American Professional Agency, Inc. and qualifies for a 5% discount on psychology policies.
• This risk management course qualifies for a 5% discount on psychology policies with the APA Insurance Trust (APAIT).
-Laws vs Ethics
-Legal duties owed to patients
-Common legal and ethical issues
-Duty to warn/protect (Tarasoff, Ewing, Goldstein)
-Child abuse reporting
-Elder abuse reporting
-Child custody issues
-Clinical vs forensic cases
-Expert witness issues
-Production of therapy records
-Terminating the difficult patient
At the conclusion of this course, you’ll be better able to:
- Summarize the latest statutes, regulations, ethical principles, and case law.
- Implement best practices to avoid confidentiality breaches at your office.
- Determine the current standard of care in your profession.
- Incorporate best practices in your duty to warn and protect protocol.
- Manage the unique risks associated with your specialty.
- Comply with HIPAA guidelines and requirements.
James R. Rogers, J.D. is an Attorney-At-Law who for over 30 years has represented numerous and various licensed healthcare individuals and a wide variety of healthcare facilities. Since 2002, Jim has held the highest attorney peer rating of AV® Preeminent (5/5.0) by Martindale-Hubbell. From 2013 to present, Jim has been annually recognized by San Diego Magazine as "San Diego's Top Lawyer" in the field of "Medical & Mental Healthcare Professionals & Institutions." On two occasions Jim was given the "Distinguished Contribution to Psychology Award" by the San Diego Psychological Association and received recognition from the California Psychological Association for his “Outstanding Contribution to the Profession of Psychology.” Jim also serves as General Counsel and Board Secretary for eTherapyFinder, Inc., a company dedicated to making therapy widely accessible by offering an online HIPAA complaint practice management platform for mental health professionals. eTherapyFinder, Inc. is currently beta testing with select user groups.
Tuition: Includes lunch! The sooner you register, the more you save.
Advance Registration (Paid by March 31): $195
Late Registration (Paid April 1-30.): $245
Last-Minute Registration (Paid May 1-4): $295
On-Site (Paid at-the-door.): $345